Monday 20 September 2021

The Flora and Fauna of Malaysia's Forest (Part 1)

Here are some of the flora and fauna photos captured in early 2021 till todate. I will start with some mammals and insects which I have encountered in my field trips. 

Dusky Leaf Monkey / Dusky Langur / Spectacled Leaf Monkey

Status: Near Threatened 



They don't call them leaf monkeys for nothing.



These are White-thighed Surili (Presbytis siamensis)




They got very long tail.



Status: Near Threatened 



They can move fairly easy in the thick jungle despite their size.



This must be an adult female.



Long-tailed Macaque



A very friendly juvenile / sub adult Wild Boar.

 


Most of these juveniles are curious lots




Family bonding time.




It came very close to 'smell' me but unfortunately I did not bring any food for them.



So it decided to show me where and how they find their food - right in front of me.



Their snout acts like a shovel.



Local folks told me that they have seen wild boars on the beach. I don't believe them initially until I saw these tracks.




A cicada is said to live under-ground for a couple of years before they finally emerge.



When they finally emerged, their life span is around two to five years only.



There were quite a lot of butterflies but this one caught my attention.



This stick insect is endangering itself by sunbathing in the open.



Another sticky insect. 

According to the experts here, this is a female 'Green-striped flying stick insect' (Presbistus peleus).




This looks like a stint bug.


Part 2 of the series coming up in the next post !


No comments:

Birding here and there from February to March 2024

 Not many birds appearing at my local patches. I probably need to travel further to see more birds. Green-back Flycatcher Male Quite a frien...