Sunday 3 March 2019

Domestic Chicken versus Red Junglefowl : How do We Differentiate them?

Chickens have co-existed with human beings since the early age of human civilisation. From archaeological findings in Neolithic sites, it was hypothesized that domestic chickens in South East Asia were originated from junglefowls (Hiromi sawai et al, 2010). We (the nutty birders) are very well informed that Red Junglefowl (Gallus gallus) is the wild replica of Gallus gallus domestica but how do we differentiate them when we see one in nature especially when there are also free-ranging ferals and free-ranging village chickens in the mix. In local terms how do we know whether it was an Ayam Kampung or an Ayam Hutan ?

Since the early 20th century thru the writings of Beebe (1918 to 1921) until todate, many literature have written on Gallus gallus. Topics ranging from embryonic development, social and sexual behaviors, vocalisation, habitat preference, roosting behavior to genetic variation have all been covered extensively. Unfortunately many literature until today still can't seem to agree on the actual traits of a Gallus gallus. Before you start pulling your hair or depleting your gray matter further, have a look here at what current researchers have to say on the characteristics of its conspecific domesticated descendants.

Thru the various phenotypic characters identified as signals of genetically "pure" Red Junglefowl (Gallus gallus) genomes, Brisbin & Peterson, 2007 identified a few phenotypic markers of a seemingly pure Gallus gallus. Here are the field markers mentioned:

i) the presence of red or yellow neck hackles are replaced with spatulate black feathers on an eclipse male plumage.

ii) slender, darker legs

iii) horizontal body posture 

iv) simpler and shorter calls.

The above description was also concurred by Steven Platt et al (2009) whereby an eclipse male Red Junglefowl free from domesticated influence has been described as typically having black hackles in mid-back which are not elongated in contrast to the elongated red-orange plumes of the main plumage.

From the above description and the many photos of Gallus gallus reviewed, i believed that the photos below here belongs to a Gallus gallus or locally called Ayam Hutan.












All the above photos were taken from a mangrove area (at a river estuary) near a town called Merbok, in the state of Kedah, February 2019. There were actually 3 of them and all were males. The above photos only showed two of them. The third one was hiding further away at a distance. Despite moving further away from them, they did not alight from their mangrove perch and despite that it was also near some human settlements where food should be abundant. Duration of observation was around 15 minutes.

Although all the above photos showed most of the features of a Gallus gallus in general sense but until a DNA test is done, i cannot conclude that they were all free of any domestic genes.

According to Hoa Nguyen- Phuc and Mark E. Berres (2018), wild junglefowls (adult males, females, juveniles) that hatched by domestic chickens usually do not tolerate captivity. Brisbin and Peterson (2007) have earlier explained that hybrid offspring would be expected to move far away from human settlements into the forest. Its only after 3 or 4 generations of cross breeding will the offsprings eventually tolerate a continued human presence. This findings were also supported by Rebecca Kavajamaa et al, (2018) whereby it was reported that there were some correlated effect of tameness on young Red Junglefowl when been raised by human beings.

It is also pertinent to note that Hoa Nguyen- Phuc and Mark E. Berres (2018) research also found no strong correlation between geographic distances and genetic dissimilarities among their samples collected. By using a Bayesian clustering method to establish the distribution between samples, Hoa Nguyen- Phuc and Mark E. Berres (2018) finding means that Gallus gallus found in Thailand, Vietnam, India or Indonesia for example should have the same genetic code. Meanwhile according to HBW Alive, currently there are 5 subspecies been recognised and those in Malaysia are reckoned from the Ssp G.g spadiceus.

Most researchers nevertheless agreed that hybridisation and introgression are phenomena that can threaten the genetic integrity of many wildlife.

"Genetic contamination of wild populations via hybridisation (natural or human induced) with domesticated stocks represents a serious but underappreciated concern in the conservation of biodiversity" (Brisbin, 1995; Rhymer & Simberloff, 1996 in Brisbin and Peterson, 2007)


For comparison purposes, here are photos of what i believe were some hybrid Gallus gallus:

The above photo was taken at a forest edge in Selangor in 2018.


The above photo was taken at a forest edge in Pahang in 2018


CONCLUSION

From the above photos and references adduced, all i can say here is that

"All Gallus gallus are chickens but not all chickens are Gallus gallus"


References

Brisbin and Peterson, 2007. Playing Chicken with Red Junglefowl: Identifying Phenotypic Markers of Genetic Purity in Gallus gallus. In Animal Conservation. 10 (4): 429 - 435, Nov 2007.

Hiromi Sawai et al, 2010. The Origin and Genetic Variation of Domestic Chickens with Special Reference to Junglefowl G.Gallus gallus and G. varius.  In Plosone, 2010, 5 (5),

Hoa Ngyuyen - Phuc and Mark E. Berres, 2018. Genetic Structure in Red Junglefowl (Gallus gallus) Populations: Strong spatial patterns in the wild ancestors of domestic chickens in a core distribution range. In Ecology and Evolution, 2018, July, 8 (13): 6575 - 6588.

Rebecca Katajamaa, Lovisa H. Larson, Paulina Lundberg, Ida Sorensen, Per Jensen, 2018. Activity, Social and Sexual Behavior in Red Junglefowl selected for divergent levels of fear of humans. In journal.plos.org. September, 2018.

Steven G. Platt, Tomas P. Condon, Johny S. Tasirin, Iwan Hunowu, Stephan Siwu, Richard A. Jones and Thomas R. Rainwater, 2009. Notes on red junglefowl (Gallus gallus) in Northern Sulawesi, Indonesia, with an emphasis on genetic introgression with domestic chickens. In Malayan Nature Journal 2009, (61(1), 23 - 33.






22 comments:

Anonymous said...

This design is steller! You certainly know how to keep a reader
entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost
moved to start my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Excellent job.
I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more
than that, how you presented it. Too cool!

Anonymous said...

I just could not go away your site prior to suggesting that I actually enjoyed the standard information a person supply in your guests?
Is gonna be back ceaselessly to check out new posts

Anonymous said...

Your method of explaining the whole thing in this post is in fact good, all be able to
effortlessly understand it, Thanks a lot.

Anonymous said...

Hello would you mind sharing which blog platform you're working with?
I'm planning to start my own blog in the near future but
I'm having a tough time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and
Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something completely unique.
P.S My apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

Anonymous said...

Hello there I am so glad I found your blog, I really found you by error, while I was looking on Aol
for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say cheers for
a tremendous post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design),
I don't have time to look over it all at the moment but
I have saved it and also added your RSS feeds,
so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal
more, Please do keep up the great job.

Anonymous said...

Greate article. Keep writing such kind of information on your site.
Im really impressed by your site.
Hi there, You've done a great job. I will certainly digg it and
individually suggest to my friends. I am confident they'll be benefited from this web
site.

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be okay.
I'm definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.

Anonymous said...

Good day very cool blog!! Man .. Beautiful
.. Amazing .. I'll bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally?
I am happy to seek out a lot of helpful info right here
within the publish, we need work out extra strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing.
. . . . .

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it
from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make my blog stand out.

Please let me know where you got your theme. Cheers

Anonymous said...

Definitely consider that which you stated. Your favourite reason appeared to be
at the web the easiest thing to take into account of.

I say to you, I certainly get annoyed whilst folks think about issues that they plainly don't recognise about.
You controlled to hit the nail upon the top and also outlined out the entire thing with no need side effect , other people could take a signal.
Will probably be again to get more. Thank you

Anonymous said...

We're a gaggle of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community.
Your website provided us with useful information to work on. You've done a formidable task
and our entire neighborhood might be grateful to you.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure why but this blog is loading extremely slow for me.

Is anyone else having this problem or is it a issue on my end?
I'll check back later on and see if the problem still
exists.

Anonymous said...

Usually I don't learn post on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very compelled me to check out and do it!
Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thanks, very nice article.

Anonymous said...

Hello very nice web site!! Man .. Excellent .. Wonderful
.. I'll bookmark your site and take the
feeds also? I am happy to find so many helpful information here within the submit,
we need develop more techniques on this regard, thanks for sharing.
. . . . .

Anonymous said...

It's very effortless to find out any matter on web as compared to books, as I found this
article at this site.

Anonymous said...

Hey very nice blog!

Anonymous said...

What a data of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious experience on the topic of unexpected emotions.

Anonymous said...

I have been exploring for a little bit for any high quality
articles or blog posts on this kind of house . Exploring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled upon this website.
Reading this information So i'm glad to express that I have a very good
uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what I needed. I most indisputably will make certain to don?t put out of your mind this
website and give it a look on a relentless basis.

Anonymous said...

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much
about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.

I think that you could do with some pics
to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is fantastic blog.
A fantastic read. I'll definitely be back.

Anonymous said...

Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a
weblog website? The account aided me a appropriate deal.
I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided brilliant clear idea

Anonymous said...

I am extremely inspired together with your writing abilities as smartly as with the structure in your weblog.

Is that this a paid subject or did you customize it your self?
Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it is
rare to see a nice blog like this one these days..

Ron-Nature Adventures said...

Dear All,

Thank you all for your positive feedback. Somehow I could only view your comments recently. Maybe it's due to some features in the blog. Apologies for my late reply.

Birding here and there from February to March 2024

 Not many birds appearing at my local patches. I probably need to travel further to see more birds. Green-back Flycatcher Male Quite a frien...